Snowshoeing, Ice Domes Guided Tour and Reindeer Visit
Combine a hike on snowshoes through the Arctic wilderness with a guided visit to the magical Tromsø Ice Domes and visit the reindeer outside of the ice hotel.
Join us for this authentic combination tour to Camp Tamok & Tromsø Ice Domes, both located in the beautiful Tamok Valley, a 90-minute scenic drive away from the city center of Tromsø.
Upon arrival at the camp, you will first set off on your snowshoe adventure and we will provide you with warm winter clothing and the required equipment for the hike. This gentle walk on snowshoes takes you further away from civilisation and closer to the true Arctic wilderness. For anyone who’s up for a challenge, there’s always some deep snow to make the trekking more demanding.
Our destination is the nature camp where the guide will help you chop wood, start a fire and cook some delicious lunch while you can take some rest. Along the way, we will also teach you some good survival skills on how to survive the ice-cold arctic wilderness: how to sleep outdoors, what to eat and how to find your way home.
Once you are done with your snowshoeing tour, your next excursion will be a guided visit to the majestic Tromsø Ice Domes.
Get to marvel at the incredible ice sculptures and snow carvings, learn about the construction process of the domes and the impact the snow has for all life in the Arctic and have a non-alcoholic ice shot at the ice bar.
As part of this combination tour, there will be some free time to walk around by yourself and visit the reindeer that are herding next to the Ice Domes. Eventually, your daytime adventure has come to an end and it will be time to board the bus back to Tromsø city center.
Want to learn more? Read about the Ice Hotels in Norway
What to know in advance:
- This tour does not include reindeer sledding, Sami Culture or feeding the reindeer.
- We maintain a temperature of minus 5 ˚C inside Tromsø Ice Domes: we advise dressing warm and in layers.
Food and beverages :
- During the tour you will be served grilled sausages cooked over an open fire. We will serve coffee, tea and water with the meal.
- Alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase at the Tromsø Ice Domes.
Vegetarian food can be provided if notice is given upon booking. Please advise us in advance of any food allergies or dietary restrictions: we will provide an alternative option. If no notice is given in advance an extra fee of 150 NOK will be charged.
Physical difficulty level: Medium. Must be in good physical condition to walk for a longer time through a challenging terrain. Please let us know of any physical conditions that we should be aware of when preparing for the tour.
Included in the tour:
- Transfer by bus from and back to Tromsø
- English-speaking guide
- Winter overall suit, boots, mittens, hat
- Snowshoes & poles
- Lunch cooked outside (if bad weather lunch will be prepared indoor in a heated lavvu instead)
- Entrance and guided tour to Tromsø Ice Domes
- Short movie at the ice-cinema
- Non-alcoholic ice-shot
What to bring:
We recommend dressing in warm winter clothing and in layers so you can adjust your clothing to the weather. We recommend bringing a scarf in cold weather.
- Transfer by bus: 90 min (1,5 hours)
- At Camp Tamok: 4 hours (Gear up, 2,5 hours snowshoeing and outdoor meal, free time)
- At Tromsø Ice Domes: 1 hour (guided tour + free time)
- Transfer by bus: 90min (1,5 hours)
Departure Time: 09:00
Meeting Time and Place: 08:45 Samuel Arnesens gate 7, 9008 Tromsø
Total Duration: 09:00 – 17:00 (8 hours )