Reindeer Sledding Evening
Meet the indigenous Sami people, hear their stories and have a close-up encounter with their reindeer on this authentic evening experience at our wilderness center Camp Tamok, a 90-minute scenic bus drive away from downtown the city center of Tromsø.
Upon arrival at Camp Tamok, we will first provide warm winter clothes and other required gear for this reindeer sledding activity. As the reindeer herd is some distance from our barking huskies, this evening activity will start with a short transfer by minibus to our Sami Camp. This fascinating cultural adventure includes reindeer sledding, an introduction to lasso throwing, storytelling about the Sami culture and feeding the reindeer.
Even though this tour is not focused on hunting the Northern Lights, being outside on a dark winter evening might give a wonderful opportunity to witness the lights while going out on this adventure.
After this memorable encounter with the indigenous Sami people, you will return to Camp Tamok where we will serve you a hot meal around an open fire in a reindeer herder’s tent. After relaxing and warming up, it is time to head back to Tromsø and reflect on a memorable experience.
What to know in advance
- This adventure is suitable for all members of the family, even the youngest ones (min. 4 years)
- This tour is not focused on hunting the Northern Lights, but it offers a great chance to witness the natural phenomenon.
Food and beverages
After the tour, we will serve a complimentary traditional Norwegian soup/stew. The main ingredients are vegetables with meat or fish. We serve bread, coffee, tea and water with the meal.
Vegetarian food can be provided if notice is given upon booking. Please advise us in advance of any food allergies or dietary restrictions: we will provide an alternative option. If no notice is given in advance an extra fee of 150 NOK will be charged.
Physical difficulty level: Very Easy
Included in the tour:
- Transfer by bus from and back to Tromsø
- English-speaking guide
- Reindeer sledding and feeding
- Winter overall suit, boots, mittens, hat
- Hot meal (warm stew) and hot drinks
What to bring: We recommend dressing in warm winter clothing and in layers so you can adjust your clothing to the weather. We recommend bringing a scarf in cold weather.
- Transfer by bus: 90 min (1,5 hours)
- At Camp Tamok: 4 hours (Gear up, 2 hours at the Sami camp/ reindeer sledding, free time and dinner)
- Transfer by bus: 90min (1,5 hours)
Departure Time: 17:00
Meeting Time and Place: 16:45 Samuel Arnesens gate 7, 9008 Tromsø
Total Duration: 17:00 – 24:00 (7 hours)